This build is about being all offensive and lashing out elemental spells. You will have limited survivability capabilities, but this pays off with over the top damage
This build works for the main character. However, Morrigan can also definitely use this, as she also has many skills in elemental tree
Elves are the best starting race in terms of starting attributes for mages.
If you use it on the main character do Circle of Tower first to get 16 Cunning (I recommend doing this on all characters)
You will need to have a healer in your party like Wynne to keep your tank with high HP (more on that later on)
For this build to work you will need to have a strong tank that can ensure that you are not being hit. Because you will have low hp and you will use it to cast spells
Get pickpocketing talent to unlock additional side quests in Denerim
Magic – attribute which will increase your spell damage. This is all that you need for this build
Contrary to thinking that blood mage needs constitution you should avoid it. Your mana pool will be your HP + MP. Due to this you will be able to cast spells easy without any big limitations
- Pickpocket – Level 1 (if you are the main character)
- Combat Training – Level 4
- Tactics – Level 4
If you have any other points left invest based on your preference.
You will use two main specializations: Blood Mage and Spirit Healer. I suggest getting the latter one second at level 14 and Blood Mage at level 7. This will increase your casting pool early in the game.
NOTE: you can also take Arcane Warrior and invest 1 ability point into Combat Magic. This will allow you to use Helm of Honnleath, the best helm in the game giving +2 to all stats. Otherwise, if it is being used by others you can skip it
How to unlock Blood Mage?
To unlock this specialization you will need to do the Arl of Redcliffe story quest. You will need to be a mage and enter the Fade.
Once you reach the last Demon it will show its true form. You will then have a conversation with it. If you are able to strike a deal one of the rewards will be the Blood Mage specialization.
For this type of build, you will want to use all the spells that scale Spellpower.
Level 1 – 7
At the beginning of the game, we want to build the offensive capabilities of the mage,
Winter’s Grasp – great single-target spell, freezing enemies
Frost Weapons – progression spell, to get the next talent
Cone of Cold – area of effect skill, petrifying enemies (even though it looks like they are frozen)
- Heal – good to have at a start until you will have a dedicated healer.
- Fireball – an area of effect crowd control skill that knocks back enemies. Great when dealing with weaker enemies.
- Spell Wisp – provides a moderate bonus to spellpower
Get Blood Mage specialization at level 7. If you do not have it unlocked do Redcliffe castle’s main quest to obtain it. You can also wait till level 14 and just take the Spirit Healer specialization.
Your strongest crowd control skill will only be available on the Blood Mage tree at level 14. So before that, you will want to have unlocked Blood Sacrifice
- Blood Magic – allows using hp to cast spells
- Drain Life – does not do much damage but can be used to quickly regenerate some of hp.
- Death Magic – this is optional, but you can use it to recover HP. It synergizes well with Blood Magic.
- Curse of Mortality – great damage over time ability. Scales with spellpower
- Death Cloud – an ability that deals a lot of damage and can trigger Entropic Death. Be careful how you use it, as Friendly Fire is possible
- Blood Sacrifice – your main healing spell, which you will use to take HP from your tank
Get the second specialization either Spirit Healer or Blood Mage
- Blood Wound – tremendous skill, allowing to paralyze living enemies in a wide area with fast casting. It also has a low cooldown and deals damage over time.
- Vulnerability Hex
- Affliction Hex
- Misdirection Hex
- Death Hex – Cast this on enemies when they enter the Death Cloud area. The result will be an Entropic Death combination. This is the biggest damage-dealing spell combo in the game.
- Mana Drain – can be used to recover some MP
- Mana Cleanse
- Spell Might – this sustained ability will allow you to further maximize your spellpower.
- Mana Clash – this ability will allow you to one-shot almost all enemy mages in the game
If you have any points left feel free to put them into Waking Nightmare, Arcane Mastery or any other spell that looks interesting or useful to you.
In the end, you should have all of these abilities at your disposal:
I list out by the priority which equipment you should use. The first ones are for the end game or close to it.
NOTE: you need to have at least one item with “Improved Blood Magic” status:
NOTE: if you will be using equipment that boosts Elemental Damage, for example, +10% fire damage, there is a cap of 30% for that element. So, having Wilhelm’s Magus Staff and Dalish battery will reach that limit, and equipping ring Twitch ( with a 5% increase to electric damage) would have no effect.
Vestments of the Seer
Robes of Avernus
Tevinter Mage Robes
First Enchanter Robes
Unfortunately, nothing special here, get gloves that boost your most used elemental skill: Storm Talons, Ashen Gloves, Elementalist’s Grasp, etc.
Lifedrinker (biggest spellpower boost)
Pearl of Anointed
Heart of Witherfang
Blood–Gorged Amulet (suggest taking it if you find yourself dying too often)
Sash of Forbidden Secrets,
Belt of Magister Lords
Cinch of Skillful Maneuvering.
Blood Ring (if you don’t have any other items with “Improved Blood Magic”)
Key to the City
Lifegiver (if you die too often)
The Lucky Stone
Ring of Study
Any elemental rings like Frostshear or Dalish battery
As this build is low on Hp and uses hp to cast spells, play it with your main character. However, it can be used both by Wynne and Morrigan.
You should apply all the buffs: Spell Wish, Blood Magic and Spell Might to maximize your damage dealt.
Use Heal to heal your tank after Blood Sacrifice (if you do not have a healer or she is out of MP)
Constantly use Blood Wound as it has a short cooldown and allows to control the battlefield
To deal maximum damage use Death Cloud + Death Hex.
The build deals tremendous damage, the Blood Wound will paralyze most of the enemies and if you are not being attacked by archers, there should be no troubles dealing with other opponents.
Just always have a lookout on your HP as you can drain it fast.
Feel free to leave your feedback below