- For information on how to defeat Whitemane in the Scarlet Monastery, see High Inquisitor Whitemane (tactics). For her original appearance, see High Inquisitor Whitemane (Classic).
Sally Whitemane was a priestess of the Light and the High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Crusade. She directed their activities from within the Scarlet Monastery’s Cathedral until her death at the hands of adventurers and Lilian Voss. During the third invasion of the Burning Legion, Whitemane was resurrected as one of the Four Horsemen of the Ebon Blade.
- 1 Background
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 4.1 In Old Hillsbrad Foothills, you are able to see younger versions of Sally Whitemane, Renault Mograine, and Little Jimmy Vishas playing around and capturing a critter next to them (a frog). Sally Whitemane says: My champion, destroy this monster! Renault Mograine says: The infidel shall be purified, milady! Renault Mograine says: ARGH! It has struck a fatal blow! I have failed you… Renault Mograine staggers about as if he were mortally wounded. Sally Whitemane says: Mograine has fallen! You shall pay for this treachery! Arise, my champion! Arise! Sally Whitemane pretends to cast a healing spell on Renault. Renault Mograine says: At your side, milady! Sally Whitemane says: We will attack as one! The captured critter dies The children cheer. Sally Whitemane says: We are victorious! Scarlet Monastery
- 4.2 Legion
- 4.3 Shadowlands
- 5 In Hearthstone
- 6 In Heroes of the Storm
- 7 Notes and trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
- 10 Patch changes
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
In the town of Southshore in Hillsbrad Foothills, a little Sally Whitemane used to play games of purifying monsters and slaying imaginary foes with her friends Renault and Little Jimmy, all of whom would one day grow up to become members of the Scarlet Crusade.
At a young age, Sally witnessed her family succumb to the horrific plague of undeath as they were traveling through northern Lordaeron. She was then forced to destroy her parents and siblings when they rose as mindless Scourge minions, leaving her racked by guilt and rage. Ever since that day, the fearsome priestess has found fulfillment and pleasure in only one thing: the cleanse and destruction of the undead.
The Scarlet Monastery was once a proud bastion of Lordaeron’s priesthood – a center for learning and enlightenment. However, with the rise of the undead Scourge during the Third War, the peaceful Monastery was converted into a stronghold for the fanatical Scarlet Crusade. Under the Scarlet leadership and Whitemane’s command, the members of the Crusade became even more extreme in their battle against the Scourge. Their grasp on reality was slipping and as time moved on, Whitemane and her followers no longer trusted anyone that was not part of their own Crusade, considering them plagued. Large numbers of innocent men and women were tortured and eventually killed because of this.
Sally appeared at Renault Mograine’s side as a Scarlet inquisitor. She informed him that the Scourge was preparing to attack the town of Hearthglen. Judging that the Forsaken were not a direct threat, Renault ordered her to lead a squad to defend the city. She immediately took the road to the Western Plaguelands.
While Hearthglen was falling into the hands of the Scourge, Sally arrived with the reinforcements and manage to kill off the attacking Scourge. Some time later, she appeared at the ceremony where Taelan Fordring became a member of the Scarlet Crusade.
World of Warcraft
It is known that both Raleigh the Devout in Hillsbrad Foothills and Varimathras in the Undercity were determined to eliminate the leadership of the Scarlet Monastery, albeit for different reasons. The dreadlord of the Forsaken wished to end the continued threat of the Scarlet Crusade so close to his capital, and the human in Southshore believed the only way the Scarlet Crusade could be brought back to its original purpose was to remove the corrupted leaders including Whitemane. Although in time the other leaders succumbed, Sally survived.
After the Cataclysm, Sally and Renault became targets of Joseph, a Scarlet renegade who wished to reform the order, and also of Dark Ranger Velonara. Considering the fact that Mograine was long dead by the time of the Cataclysm, it is unknown whether the quest was considered canon or if it was put there purely for game mechanics.
Mists of Pandaria
Sally Whitemane survived the first assault upon the Monastery some years ago and returned to lead the forces inside, along with her new companion Durand, who replaced Renault Mograine as the Scarlet Commander. The reason she was still alive was because of her immense capabilities of resurrection. With the entirety of the former Scarlet leadership deceased, it was implied that Whitemane became the leader of the Scarlet Crusade, and with her demise, they would also falter.
Although she was thought unkillable, the only way to make Whitemane’s death permanent was to thrust her with two artifacts, the Blades of the Anointed. These swords were kept inside the Monastery and were retrieved by Lilian Voss and the adventurers. The small group made their way through the Monastery and after the battle Lillian stabbed the blades into her dead body, making her unable to resurrect again.
Ironically, Sally Whitemane was raised as an undead by Thassarian and the Deathlord to serve as the third member of the new Four Horsemen. While death rid her of her madness, her strong spirit remained.
After the failed attempt to retrieving the body of Highlord Tirion Fordring beneath Light’s Hope Chapel in the Sanctum of Light, Darion’s sacrifice was not in vain. Sally said that the Light ravaged his body and also there was nothing they could do to save Darion.
Sally participated with her fellow Horsemen, the Deathlord, and Minerva Ravensorrow mounted on Daumyr to battle the demons on the Broken Shore.
Battle for Azeroth
Throughout the Fourth War, Bolvar had Sally and her fellow horsemen acquire fallen champions of both the Horde and Alliance, and following its completion witnessed the new generation of death knights being raised. Darion personally sent the new death knights to travel to Orgrimmar if the death knight is Horde or Stormwind if it is Alliance and make a choice from the Hero’s Call Board.
We Ride Forth
Believing that Bolvar had fallen to the powers of the Lich King, Darion attempted to kill him. However, Bolvar forcibly controlled the former’s body and made him return to Acherus: The Ebon Hold, while taunting him about requiring his fellow horsemen. Though wary of it being a trap, the horsemen agreed to kill the Lich King with Sally remarking how she wanted nothing more in life than to kill the Lich King, and decide who would wield the Helm of Domination after Bolvar was slain. However, en route to Icecrown Citadel, the Four Horsemen, using their connection to the Lich King, discovered him locked in combat with Sylvanas Windrunner, and learned that this was all part of Bolvar’s gambit to have the horsemen arrive and kill the winner of the conflict.
Sally and the others were stunned when Sylvanas won and destroyed the helm instead of claiming ownership of it. With the Scourge no longer under control, Darion ordered Nazgrim and Sally Whitemane to rescue Bolvar, while he and Thoras Trollbane fought to keep Acherus under their control.
After the Helm of Domination was destroyed and the Scourge began to rampage across Azeroth, Whitemane and Nazgrim brought the wounded Bolvar Fordragon to Acherus: The Ebon Hold. Following the return of the Scourge she became the Ebon Blade’s emissary to the Alliance.
In Old Hillsbrad Foothills, you are able to see younger versions of Sally Whitemane, Renault Mograine, and Little Jimmy Vishas playing around and capturing a critter next to them (a frog).
- Sally Whitemane says: My champion, destroy this monster!
- Renault Mograine says: The infidel shall be purified, milady!
- Renault Mograine says: ARGH! It has struck a fatal blow! I have failed you…
- Renault Mograine staggers about as if he were mortally wounded.
- Sally Whitemane says: Mograine has fallen! You shall pay for this treachery! Arise, my champion! Arise!
- Sally Whitemane pretends to cast a healing spell on Renault.
- Renault Mograine says: At your side, milady!
- Sally Whitemane says: We will attack as one!
- The captured critter dies
- The children cheer.
- Sally Whitemane says: We are victorious!
- Main article: Scarlet Commander Mograine#Quotes
- Main article: High Inquisitor Whitemane#Quotes
- Main article: The Zealot Rises#Notes
- Main article: The Fourth Horseman#Notes
- “There is no greater hatred and scorn in this world than that which exists in my heart. The Burning Legion will pay for all that they have taken from me. The day of my judgment awaits, but theirs is at hand and I will be the executioner’s blade. I will not rest untl every demon lays dead, their corpses paving the very ground I walk! Command me to the front, Deathlord, and I will rain terror upon the armies of the Burning Legion!”
- “What do you seek?”
- “You need only ask.”
- “In undeath, my true purpose is manifest.”
- “There is no peace for the unliving.”
- “We do what the living cannot.”
- Quest Gossip
Much has happened in your absence, <class>.
Let me catch you up to speed.
Tell me what happened.
The Ebon Blade stands ready.
Tell me what happened.
Whitemane appears as a legendary card in Hearthstone. She was added in 2019’s patch 14.6 along with several other cards to make up for the Classic cards moved to the Hall of Fame set. Her flavor text reads: “No one told her that champions want to sleep in.”
In the Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion, Whitemane appears as one of the Four Horsemen that can be summoned by Uther of the Ebon Blade’s Hero Power.
In Heroes of the Storm
Whitemane is a playable character in Heroes of the Storm.
Notes and trivia
- Heroes of the Storm
High Inquisitor Whitemane
Celestial Empress Whitemane