Got orange liqueur? Here are all the best Triple Sec drinks and cocktails that highlight its citrus essence, from Margarita to Cosmo.
Got a bottle of Triple Sec on hand? This orange liqueur has been around since 1875, and has a long history of adding complexity to cocktails. It’s the orange essence that makes a Margarita, and the citrus breeziness in a classic Cosmo. But there are many more Triple Sec drinks beyond that that highlight this versatile liqueur. Ready to get drinking?
And now…the top 10 Triple Sec drinks and cocktails!
What is Triple Sec?
All the Triple Sec cocktails above use the product you can buy with that name. But Triple Sec is also a word used to describe a specific liquor and a family of orange liqueurs. Confusing, right? Here’s what to know:
- Triple Sec is the name for a category of dry orange liqueurs: it translates to “triple dry” in French. The other family of orange liqueurs is Curacao, which are sweeter (and sometimes blue, in the case of the Blue Margarita!).
- Triple Sec is also the name for a product. In most liquor stores, bottles labeled Triple Sec are lower in quality and more affordable than something like Cointreau, which is a higher end Triple Sec.
What’s in a Cosmopolitan cocktail? This vibrant pink drink is perfect for any occasion, with vodka, cranberry and Triple Sec.
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) vodka or citron vodka*
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) 100% cranberry juice (do not use sweetened!)
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) Cointreau
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup**
- For the garnish: lime wheel (optional)
- Place the vodka, cranberry juice, Cointreau, lemon juice, and syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake 15 seconds until cold. Strain the liquid into a martini glass.
- Squeeze with the lime wedge and serve, garnished with a lime wheel if desired.
*If you have it, use citron vodka for the most authentic Cosmo: in this case you can omit the lemon juice. In our tests we found it was just as tasty to use standard vodka with lemon juice, so you don’t have to buy another type of vodka.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Triple Sec drinks, Triple Sec cocktails
More cocktail recipes
There are so many drinks to try outside of these Triple Sec cocktails! Here are 300+ cocktail recipes for every occasion: