Astrology is an ancient language that utilizes planetary bodies, zodiac signs, and houses to communicate a unique cosmic signature known as your birth chart. The birth chart maps out the position of the sun, moon, planets, and stars at the specific time and place of your birth. Ever wonder why the full moon messes with your vibes? This is what provides the framework for your individuality, relationships (your soulmate could be written in stars), and life purpose.
In your birth chart, the three main planetary points that outline your everyday personality are your sun, moon, and rising. Most everyone knows their sun sign, but many are not as familiar with their moon and rising sign. This is why the question “What’s your sign?” is so much more complex than the simple answer of “I’m a Libra.”
So, what is the best way to answer your sign question? By learning what your sun, moon, and rising sign really mean and then finding out which of the 12 zodiac signs they occupy in your birth chart. Understanding this can influence everything from booking the best workouts for your sign (Leo, get ready to put the pedal to the metal), to finding the wellness and beauty treatments that fit your zodiac flow.
The sun, moon, and rising are found within a specific zodiac sign in your birth chart. The 12 zodiac signs are associated with an elemental property (earth, water, air, fire), a fundamental quality (cardinal, mutable, fixed), and a planetary ruler. The combination of these provides the basis for exploration of how these planetary points express themselves in your life… and the balance between your seven dimensions of wellness.
The sun is your identity. It is the essence that you shine out into the world. It represents the vital force that drives you to seek the highest expression of your true self. Your sun sign is how you answer the question “I am” and how you experience life and express your individuality. These sentiments might come to mind as you practice yoga. It also represents the type of energy that you need to feel revitalized. For example, your sun sign’s element is helpful in understanding your self-expression tendencies and how you recharge.
If your sun is an air sign:
– Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you love to express yourself intellectually and often recharge in social settings. How about some group fitness with friends?
If your sun is a fire sign:
– Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are motivated by inspirations and aspirations and recharge through physical activity (like a virtual workout) and by pursuing your goals.
If your sun is an earth sign:
– Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are motivated by material needs and practicality and recharge through working with the physical world, being productive, and feeding your senses. Essential oils might just do the trick.
If your sun is a water sign:
– Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are motivated by deep emotional desires and recharge through emotional experiences (try being mindful with meditation) and intimate involvement with people.
The moon is the soul behind your identity. It is the subconscious side of yourself that you typically keep hidden and is the driving force behind your emotional reactions. Your moon sign helps you feel pleasure and pain, joy and sorrow, and gives insight into how you nurture and restore yourself. These happiness hacks always help me. It is the mecca of your inner world. For example, your moon sign’s element is helpful in understanding your inner world and how you typically react in emotional situations.
If your moon is in an air sign:
– Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you react to changing experiences with discernment and objective evaluation. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing ideas and interacting socially. Could a new yoga practice could increase your creativity?
If your moon is in a fire sign:
– Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you react to changing experiences with direct action and excitement. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing confidence, ditching the negative self-talk, and showing strength.
If your moon is in an earth sign:
– Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you react to changing experiences with steadiness and stability. A strong core workout could help with that. You feel most aligned with your inner world when being productive and working towards a goal.
If your moon is a water sign:
– Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you react to changing experiences with sensitivity and emotion. You feel most aligned with your inner self when feelings are deeply involved. But don’t forget to prioritize your self-love!
Rising sign (also known as your Ascendant) is your social personality. It is how you dawn on people as it relates to the zodiac sign that was on the Eastern horizon when you were born. Your rising sign represents your physical body and outward style. It is the manifestation of both your inner and outer world, which can define the balance between your seven dimensions. For example, your rising sign’s element is helpful in understanding the type of energy that drives your physical body and overall approach to life.
If your rising is in an air sign:
– Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you are mentally quick, inquisitive, friendly, and prefer to express yourself verbally. You often approach life with the desire to understand the meaning of what or whom you encounter, and that includes being intentional with your movement.
If your rising is in a fire sign:
– Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are action-oriented, confident, and often blunt. You often have great vitality and physical energy, especially when striving to make your mark in the world. Trust me, you’ll want to tap into that physical energy in your next workout.
If your rising is in an earth sign:
– Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are matter-of-fact and tend to focus on the material world. You often have a steadfast approach to life that can be a grounding force (especially during stressful times) for many.
If your rising is in a water sign:
– Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are sensitive, empathetic, and easily influenced by your environment (say hello to more plants in your home). You often have an approach to life that is deeply rooted in your emotional body.
Developing a deep awareness of your sun, moon, and rising is a great place to start in understanding your personal astrology. If you are interested in learning more, join my Cosmic Soul Membership club. Happy exploring!